Sunday, February 13, 2011

Brighton

Brighton Pier
In my last entry I wrote that Cambridge is the only place I would live in England.  Well, as predicted, I changed my mind.  Brighton is the only place I would live in England.  I suppose I could survive in Cambridge, but seeing the ocean in Brighton made me realize that I am an ocean-dweller and will only truly be happy living by the sea.  Brighton is like a boutique version of San Francisco.  There are cute streets with colorful flats and shops.  Since I went on a Saturday, there were many open-air markets; farmers markets, antique markets, etc.  Plus, it was a gorgeous day!!  It was like a slice of summer in winter.  The sky was blue, the sun was shining down, people were eating ice cream on the pier... it was so lovely.  I even saw English surfers!  I was shocked to find that Brighton doesn't have sandy beaches; it has beaches of small, soft rocks.
Surf's up in Brighton

Brighton is about a 55-minute train ride from London so it easily accessed.  I took the train with Philippa.  I loved all the markets and coffee shops!  There were cute clothing stores; I bought two dresses.  Many stores had a rainbow flag in their window, symbolizing that they are gay-friendly.  They should be, as Brighton is the gay capitol of the UK!
                       
         Moooo!  On the pier




Brighton sightings:

Cute cafe at the end of a farmer's market
A colorful booth at the farmer's market... yum!
Example of a street in Brighton... looks a bit like San Francisco! 
Brighton made me homesick for California.  Seeing the ocean and listening to the seagulls calling was very comforting; I found it hard to believe I was in England!  

After our day in Brighton, Philippa and I had dinner in London near our train station.  Tomorrow I am off to Paris.  I can't wait!!
Au revoir London!  Goodbye London!
Bonjour Paris!  Hello Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment