Friday, February 4, 2011

Platform 9 3/4

 Me in Top Shop trying on a silly headband of a bird's nest

Yesterday I awoke to blue skies and sun!  I didn't even need my coat!  Philippa and I went to Oxford Street so I could get a hair cut.  The best thing about hair cuts in London?  The shampoo and scalp massage come free!  Plus, there was a drink menu so clients could sip their favourite liquid while getting a hair cut.  I had apple juice, but I could have ordered tea or even wine!  I was also served a little bowl of pretzels!  My hair dresser was a bald, Italian man who asked me why I am here if I live in the "greatest country in the world"?  His dream is to do hair in Miami.  Luckily, my hair turned out great.  Next we went to the four story Top Shop!  Top Shop is a trendy store- kind of like a very high end and more expensive Forever 21.  There is a beauty parlor and cafe as well! 

We then walked to King's Cross Station to see Platform 9 and 3/4 from Harry Potter.  We found Platform 9 but I needed a ticket to get through.  So I went up to an employee to ask, but before I even opened my mouth she said, "Harry Potter?  Take a left and another left."  What I thought would be a large monument with an even larger crowd surrounding it turned out to be a wall tucked away in the middle of a construction zone.  Even so, I had my picture perfect moment.  Pictured: I couldn't get through the wall! 

From King's Cross Station we took the tube to Finchley and arrived to dinner at my relative Leslie and Lesley's house.  I thought dinner would consist of Philippa, them two and me, but it was actually a huge dinner party with 20 or so guests!  There was a big meal served and I felt like a true celebrity!  Everyone wanted to meet George's daughter Julia.  I met so many new cousins!  Everyone was so friendly and welcoming--I had an absolute wonderful, if not overwhelming, time!  

Tony Michaels, Leslie Michaels, me, Sam Michaels & Alex Michaels

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you met the English cousins. They are always very hospitable and am very happy that your generation is keeping it up! Enjoy your weekend at Juliette and Michael's. Love to everyone!

    ReplyDelete