 |
| An edited photo of Parliament's and Big Pen's profiles |

I set off on the tube in the morning just in time to catch a duck tour, where the duck--a historic military vehicle--drives on land and then drives right into the water and becomes a boat. This was a duck tour of London with a guide. The duck went near all of the famous buildings, with our tour guide pointing out every store that the queen shops at. The duck went down (or up?) the Thames River. In true Julia fashion, I fell asleep while it was cruising on the water.
Across the street from my duck tour was the London Eye -- a slow motion ferris wheel built in 2000-- with panoramic views of London. I decided to indulge and pay the ridiculous entry fee, since I figured I had to ride the Eye once in my life. Philippa warned me it would be "underwhelming" and she was right, but I am glad I did it. The views were great. Even though it was a cloudy day, once we were up in the sky it was clear and blue. A definite pro of traveling in the off-season is the lack of lines! I waited in no line and almost got a pod to myself, but ended up with a large family that spoke a different language. At least I got them to take my picture!
 |
| In the London Eye |
 |
The London Eye - 442 feet tall!
 |
| View from the London Eye |
|

I crossed Westminster Bridge, walked through Parliament Square (for what seemed like the 10th time) and into St. James Park. You may remember me writing about the pelicans there in a previous post. Well I came back! I decided that Duck Island is my favorite part of London. That may sound crazy, but I love watching all of the different bird species! They are all obviously used to being fed by people, and I watched a goose eat out of a lady's hand. I also saw a very cheeky squirrel climb up a man's leg!
Pictured: Jemimah Puddle Duck herself! She left her bonnet in the pond.
Buckingham Palace sits just behind St. James Park. The front doors were guarded by the "guards" and the scarier men with guns. Having the job as a London "guard" seems like the easiest job in the world, if not the most boring. I didn't think there was any job easier or more boring than life guarding but there definitely is. The guards have to stand with a silly furry hat on in perfectly straight posture doing absolutely nothing. There were people clinging to the Buckingham Palace front gates, but unfortunately no Queen sightings were reported.
 |
| Buckingham Palace |
 |
| Buckingham palace guards |

Green Park is right next to the Palace. Green Park is a gorgeous park with tree-lined walk ways and lovely paths. This is another park I would love to visit in summer with a picnic and a good book. At the corner of the park is a tube station, which I took to the London Bridge. I walked across the bridge and to Leadenhall Market, a cute market place with stores. It had an indoor/outdoor feeling with beautiful cielings and lighting.
Pictured: Leadenhall Market
The amazing thing about London is how easy the transportation is. It is a wanderer's paradise. I can go any which way and no matter what I will end up near a tube station and then can zip back to Point A in a matter of minutes. Mapping out and exploring where the tube goes is an adventure in itself!
 |
All tobacco products have
menacing phrases on them |
I arrived back home in time to meet my third cousin (Dad--is this right?) Lani. She is 23 and in a master's program at the University of London. She was really nice and charismatic! She loves to travel and toured through South America by herself for 4 months before she started Uni. We went to a pub up the road and ate sweet potato gnocchi and an apple/berry crumble with custard for dessert.
 |
| My newly discovered cousin Lani |
No comments:
Post a Comment