Monday, January 31, 2011

Discovering Manchester

Sitting in the palm of a chair's hand
at Cafe Oklahoma


Today Sam took me around Manchester.  We parked the car in downtown and kicked off the day (well, by the time we woke up it was afternoon) with a drink with his mates at a pub called The Shakespeare.  I had my favourite... cider!  It reminds me of kombucha, my favorite fermented health drink from home.  After we found a hole-in-the wall vegetarian cafe called Oklahoma.  It was so funky and totally Santa Cruz!  I loved it, but it wasn't Sam's cup o' tea.

After we walked around the city and Sam took me to Affleck's Palace -- a three or four story shopping mall like none I have never seen before.  It was a grungy building shared by different vendors, mostly selling vintage clothing.  It was a hipster's paradise!  I bought vintage high-waisted Levi shorts and a vintage red high waisted skirt.
Sam at Oklahoma Cafe






Unfortunately, I have to admit that I really don't care for Manchester.  It is really dirty and ugly.  There is literally trash lining some side streets.  It is very industrial and dark.  People walking around look miserable and friendliness is not their strong suit.  It is completely the opposite of Glasgow and Edimburgh!  In Scotland there was greenery, extreme friendliness, and a general happy feeling in the air.

Tomorrow I am off to London -- I am so excited!  I will be there for 2 weeks! :]


I found it highly amusing that Santa Cruz skateboards were sold in a skate
shop in Affleck's Palace!

1 comment: