Monday, January 24, 2011

Stirling Castle

A (very) edited photo of the castle grounds


Today Madeleine, Gran, Frank (Madeleine's uncle) and I went on a "wee drive" (as Frank called it) to visit Stirling, Scotland where the Stirling Castle is.  We had a guided tour of an old building across the street from the castle grounds where William Alexander used to live in the 15/1600s.  Later it was turned into a hospital and now a museum.                 <Photo: looking out at the town of Stirling through a window inside the castle.
Next we toured the castle grounds.  Madeleine and I walked carefully along the outer castle walls.  It had beautiful views of the greenery of Stirling.  If you want to know more about the castle (for you history buffs out there) check out <<http://www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/home.htm>>.  
The view from the castle

The Portcullis
After touring the castle, we had lunch at The Portcullis-- a restaurant and inn directly outside the castle.  There was a plaque on the building explaining that it had originally been a school house!  For the first time in my life I had clotted cream - I don't think I have ever tasted something so heavenly (that wasn't chocolate!).  I had it with jam on my scone.

Scones with clotted cream and jam          

This is what I had for dessert last night, made by Gran.  Blueberry and apple crumble with ice cream and a coffee!

Frank, Madeleine and Gran in front of Stirling Castle

Tonight Madeleine and I saw Black Swan.  The theatre was huge!  I actually didn't care for it very much, but I could see how others would.  On to Edinburgh tomorrow; tonight is my last night in Glasgow!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Julia,

    what a wonderful trip ! Your blogs are getting more and more interesting and I feel, how much you enjoy the new experiences far away from LA.
    Very much looking forward to read your next stories.

    Look after yourself !

    Love

    Dieter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dieter--
    Thanks for reading!
    Am definitely enjoying my new experiences.

    Love
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. clotted cream...sounds like something that would kill you in some sort of amoeba blob attack. or like vampire bagel spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey, you are ridiculous! hahaha

    ReplyDelete