Monday, January 17, 2011

Glasgow, Scotland


I love GLASGOW!



I can see why Madeleine moved here!  It is gorgeous!   Above photos are from a walk in the park only a few minutes from her house.



Yesterday Madeleine and I slept in, had a cup of tea to start the day (tea before breakfast, tea before bed, tea tea tea!), and then left for the West End downtown.  It was a charming street with cafes and shops.  We went into the HillHead Bookclub - a pub with a vintage clothing market called "Granny Would Be Proud" on the top story.  After taking a look we sat down for an afternoon drink (or two) and a halloumi salad.  Halloumi is a tasty cheese-- had never even tasted it before!  We had strawberry mojitos-- so delicious!!  So far, the drinks in Scotland are much weaker than those in the states.  Afterwards we shopped around before heading back to Gran's (what Madeleine calls her grandmother).  Gran had cupcakes ready with birthday candles for Madeleine's birthday-- she turned 21 (Jan. 16).  Madeleine helped dress me up nice and stylish, and then we headed to her favorite pub for her birthday called "NICENSLEAZY".  Aka Sleazy's.  It was actually not sleazy at all-- very retro and nice inside!!  I met a group of Madeleine's friends.  They were absolutely lovely!!!  All so friendly and welcoming.   We chatted, drank and ate for a few hours before heading to sleep.  Top photo: Madeleine shopping at "Granny Would Be Proud" vintage market.  Bottom photo: Strawberry mimosas.  

Here are more photos of the day.....
In front of Madeleine's house
Madeleine and I ready for our day out


Madeleine's gran's house on South Hampton Drive




Out on the town

Madeleine and her gran

NICENSLEAZY

Me with the birthday girl having a great time.

The next day...... Monday, Jan 17th.
Today Madeleine and I started the day off with breakfast.  We hung out with her lovely friend David.  He is so nice and so fun!  Both Madeleine and David are into film cameras, so we walked around town while they took pictures.  And boy did we walk!!!  No wonder Madeleine and her friends are so fit... they walk everywhere!!!  It's no sweat to walk for 30 minutes to get somewhere... but back in California, no one walks!!  It's so nice walking here, especially because it heats you up!  We walked past the University of Glasgow where most of Madeleine's friends go.  It was gorgeous.  Ancient and fancy.  Photo: David's cat.

This morning was beautiful.  The sun was shining and I didn't even need my coat!  Madeleine and I shopped around and then met Gran for a taxi back home.  Photo: Uni of Glasgow



David and Madeleine

Notice anything funny about this statue?  Every day someone puts a cone on the man's head and everyday a police offer takes it off.  Madeleine said it happens everyday.

My new favorite sandwich shop.  You make your own sandwich and then the shop girl weighs it to see how much it is.  I had the  best hummus here.  

Now Madeleine and I are resting before another night out!  Tonight we are going to Alex's (Madeleine's boyfriend) flat for a home cooked dinner!

1 comment: