Sunday, January 30, 2011

Leeds to Manchester

Philippa and yours truly

This morning Philippa, her mum and I went to breakfast at Betty's, Philippa's favourite tea house (http://www.bettys.co.uk/).  I had muesli and berries and a cup of coffee.  Philippa's mum and I had an interesting conversation about the health differences between the English and Americans.  I told her mum that I get yearly blood tests to check up on everything and how Americans have to get physicals before major events, like going to sleepaway camp.  She said the English generally don't frequent the doctors that often.  She was quite surprised when I told her how my family is concerned with health and eating well!

After breakfast Philippa and I took the train to Leeds and had a walk around the city.  I didn't think Leeds was very nice... I thought York was much prettier.  Philippa took me to the train station and I took a jam-packed ride to Manchester.  Sam was waiting for me when I arrived.  Sam is a lad I met during my first year of college.  He is an American Studies major like Philippa and lived in the dorms with me my freshman year.  He took me to get a drink with his mates from uni-- they were all really nice and we had a nice conversation about Harry Potter.  It was such a treat hearing someone say "butter beer" in an English accent!

This evening Sam's family took me to dinner at a local Italian restaurant.  His family is absolutely lovely!!!  We had such a great time talking about the differences between America and England; for example, one must tip in America and not in England and doggie bags after meals are standard in America but not in England.

Now I am relaxing before bed... tomorrow I have a big day touring around Manchester!  Maybe I will run into the Beckhams!

No comments:

Post a Comment