Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goodbye America

After getting barely a wink of sleep on the flight from New York, the plane stopped for a layover in Iceland.  Unforunately it was 6 a.m. when we arrived and pitch dark, so there was nothing to see.  Iceland has the nicest airport I have ever seen.  Totally state-of-the-art, eco-modern-looking.  My flight seemed to be the only one to arrive at the whole airport… it was almost creepy.  The stores inside were closed and what looked like half of the gates; I arrived at my gate before it was even open.  After a few minutes of waiting, a flight attendant said without a microphone, “This way to Glasgow” and motioned with her hand to follow her down a hall to the plane.  I was officially on my way.

After switching planes again in Manchester (I hate flying!!), I finally landed in Glasgow.  Thankfully, it was much warmer than NYC!  Madeleine was waiting for me. [Madeleine is one of my best friend's from high school.  She is Scottish and moved to Glasgow after she graduated high school with me.]  She took me to get pounds and a UK cell phone!  We also went to Starbucks... no big deal in America, but in Scotland-- wow!!!  If you order "in", your drink is served in a Starbucks mug.  The only problem is, I can barely understand anyone!  Even though all the shop keepers are speaking english, Madeleine had to be my interpreter!  The accents are so thick!

Now I am at Madeleine's grandmother's house--such a lovely lady!  Her house is very cozy.  I took a hot shower before dinner-- a homemade pasta dinner that grandma had been cooking since the night before!!!  She also made custard and an apple/berry cake for dessert.  Madeleine's boyfriend Alex came to dinner too.  Madeleine's aunt Moira also joined us -- she bought us all lottery tickets.  Now we are watching the tellie to see if we won! 

I am ready for a long sleep tonight.  I don't even know how long I have been awake!  Time has been lost through the time zone warp.

3 comments:

  1. Say hi to Madeleine and her Granny. Enjoy our birthdays. have piece of cake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules,

    How exciting the journey is just beginning! I am enjoying reading your blog! Keep it up! Details, girlfriend, details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two!! I will keep updating it!!!

    ReplyDelete